Mom and Dad lived in Cleveland Ohio for a while when many Polish people were immigrating to the U.S. and settling there. Mom got to know some of the ladies and they exchanged recipes. I don't know that she got this recipe from one of her friends, but it certainly seems likely.
I do remember that one of them taught Mom how to actually make the sauerkraut. She made it in the basement and we were not allowed to touch it!
May have to try it again, soon.
I like sauerkraut
How to Make Sauerkraut Salad
- Open the can or bag of sauerkraut, put it in a sieve and drain the juice, then run a knife through the cabbage to cut it a little smaller. (save the juice)
- Add the juice back to the now cut up kraut and stir in the sugar. Let it stand for 30 minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients mixing well.
- Cover the bowl tightly and let it stand on the counter top for 12 hours (over night).
- Serve as a delicious and out-of-the-ordinary side dish.