My neice, sister, and I put this together for a shower gift for my cosin who is having her first child in Aug. and needs everything of corse. This "Cake" is creative, cute and practial for the new mother. (my neice can't make the bows, and I used to work in a flower shop, ta da)
I also know how you all are a little sappy when it comes to crafty, cutesie, and fun ways to express your self and please others. Ok well at least I am. so I appoligize if this offends anyone because of not being an actual "Cake" but I thought someone might have a baby shower in the future and this could be an idea you can use that no one has seen before. Thanks!
- tissue paper
- box of 92 diapers, size 1
- sheer ribbon
- colored ribbon
- curling ribbon
- toy for top of cake
- other toys, like keys, rattle, bibs, etc.
- 8 diaper pins
- floral wire
- 3 giant rubber bands
- a few pipe cleaners
How to Make Diaper Cake
- 2using three mixing bowls, sm, med, & lg. arrange the diapers in a pinweel pattern. Pack them tight. You may have a few diapers left over which you can either just give to the mommie, or place them at the bottom of the cake around the edge. Once you have them packed tight, use the rubber band and place around the center of each layer to hold them togather. Using your sheer ribbon on the inside and colored ribbon on the outside wrap around each layer to hide rubber bands. Use a diaper pin to hold together. Place layers on base making sure pinweel pattern is going in the same direction. You are now ready to decorate.
- 3To attach toy to the top make a large bow out of your sheer ribbon. If you haven't done this before, it is easily done this way....
pull out a length of the ribbon that will hang from the top, over the second layer and touching the third layer. Pinch the ribbon side to side between your thumb and middle finger, make a loop about 5 inches long and pinch again, make a loop in the oppisit direction and pinch again, do this 3 times in each direction. To finish center make small loop over middle of the bow pinching once again, slide floral wire through center loop and pull in a "U" shape around what you have pinched in your fingers and twist tight. Pull more ribbon for 2nd tail same length as firs tail and you're done. ( you may want to practice this a few times on a peice of scrap ribbon until you get the hang of it) Use another peice of ribbon to wrap around the leggs of the toy and tie it tight. Put a pipe cleaner through that peice of ribbon and twist it togather, stick it down between the diapers to hold it into place, use the wire from the bow to attache it to the ribbon on the toy.
- 4Attaching other toys ie; nuk, keys, rattel and such. Use curling ribbon and tie around toy leaving room for it to dangle over edge of layer. Using a diaper pin, run ribbon through or tie it to the pin, push closed pin into the diaper layer you wish to decorate. Bibs are easy to just stick neck hole between layers. Make a couple of smaller bows out of colored ribbon to add to decoration just pushing wire in between diapers on a given layer. And your done.
- 5If you have questions on this or where to buy the items used, please feel free to ask. I hope if you do use this idea, the new mommie loves it and that you will be the hit of the party for the creativity and usefullness of the gift. Thank you for letting me post this! It is fun to make and give. ;o)