August Moon Magic ~ Make a Magical Onion Braid~
Make a onion braid with which to store your onions as you harvest them. Especially if you go in for onion planting for yourself in a large patch of land. Great to use and attract customers if you have a local farm stall, making up small braids of onions to sell.
August often starts out hot and muggy, but even when the rest of your garden is wilting in the heat, chances are good that your onion crop is thriving in the cool, dark soil. If you haven't pulled them yet, Lammas is a good time to do so.
Pull the onions by the tops or dig with a small spade. Use care not to damage the skin of the onion when digging. Once you've got them out of the earth, gently brush the loose dirt off of them, and hang them in a sunny spot to dry and cure. Laying them on screens or on old newspapers in a well-ventilated area will speed the process. Shake to remove any excess soil or brush with a soft brush. Use care not to remove the papery covering. Trim the stalks to 4 to 6 inches.
When August's full moon, the Corn Moon, rolls around, get to work on some onion magic!
- now for the magick
How to Make August Moon Magic ~ Make a Magical Onion Braid~
- 1Under the light of the full moon, you can make an onion braid. Braiding is a very relaxing and magical way to spend an evening, and by braiding your onions, you can prepare them for winter storage -- basically, you're accomplishing the magical and the mundane all in one shot.
- 2Begin with a 2 to 3 foot length of twine. Choose well-formed dried onions to make a braid. Select three onions and tie them together at the base of the stems with the twine. Begin braiding, keeping the twine in one section and work until you have made several crosses.
- 3Add additional onions, working the stem into one of the existing units or stems. Repeat by adding onions at even intervals. Each onion's stem will become part of the original unit and will be replaced by additional stems as you work. No one stem is expected to run the entire length.
- 4Continue to add onions until you reach the length you desire. As you do so, focus your intent. Onions are magically linked to protective magic, so you can braid the onions and recite an incantation linking them to whatever sort of protection you feel you need. Some sample incantations might be:
- 5For protection of a home:
Onions wrapped around a braid,
This charm for my home I have made,
Keep negative energy away from me,
As I will, so it shall be.
- 6For protection of a person:
Layers and layers of onion skin,
Layers of safety for those within,
Layers to make all harm stay out,
Keep (name) safe, without a doubt.
- 7Finish off the braid by braiding the ends of the remaining stems and tying them off with a bit of twine leaving short ends for a fringe at the top. Form a loop from the end of the twine for hanging. Store onions braids in a cool dark area until ready for use.