Slow Cooker Carnitas
- 3 or 4 lb
- pork shoulder roast
- 15 oz
- green taco sauce
- 4 clove
- garlic minced
- sweet onion sliced
- 1 Tbsp
- chili powder
- 2 tsp
- dried oregano
- 2 tsp
- 2 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp
- cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1 c
- 1/2 c
- milk (do not add to crockpot.)
- 10 or 12 small
- tortillas (corn and whole wheat blend)
How to Make Slow Cooker Carnitas
- 1Cut roast into 3-4 large pieces. Pierce meat all over with a knife.
- 2Stir together taco sauce, garlic, onion, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, cayenne, and water. Add pork pieces, and spoon liquid over the meat to coat all sides.
Cover crockpot and cook on high 6-8 hours or low 8-10 hours, until meat shreds easily.
- 3When meat is done, preheat oven to 275 degrees. Take pork out of the slow cooker and shred on a large-rimmed baking sheet lined with foil or a baking mat to make cleanup easier. Discard any large pieces of fat. (Leave most of the onion behind, but it’s OK if some is incorporated with the meat.)
- 4Pour 1/2 cup of cooking liquid and 1/2 cup of milk over shredded pork. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes until brown and crispy. Remove meat for serving with tongs to leave excess fat behind.
- 5Serve with tortillas, finely shredded cabbage, guacamole or avocado, and green salsa.
Suggested condiments: Finely shredded cabbage, guacamole or sliced avocado, and green salsa.
Substitute a 16 oz. jar of green salsa for the taco sauce and a 15 oz. can of beef broth for the water.
Substitute 1 tbsp. of onion powder for the fresh onion and 1 tsp. garlic powder for the fresh garlic.