3 lblive lobsters
6 Tbspclarified butter
1 1/2 c35% heavy cream
3 largefree-run egg yolks
1/4 tspground himalayan sea salt, or to taste
1/8 tspcayenne pepper, or to taste
1/8 tspfreshly grated nutmeg, or to taste
1 Tbspfresh chives, finely chopped
3 largevol-au-vent, baked
How to Make Lobster Newberg
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. When boiling, add lobsters, head first; cover and bring back to a full boil. When it returns to a boil, set the timer for 8 minutes and leave the lid ajar. When time is up, remove from the water and plunge them into an ice bath; leave them in for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, add clarified butter. When hot, pour in sherry and stir constantly. Cook until reduced to a third; turn off the heat.
- Twist the front legs off the lobster body and separate the knuckles. Detach the tail from the body by twisting it as well. Remove the meat from tails, claws and knuckles; save shells for lobster stock and place in the freezer. Cut meat into bite sized pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, add heavy cream, egg yolks, salt, cayenne pepper and nutmeg; whisk thoroughly.
- Back to the skillet; turn the heat to medium and pour in the egg mixture. Stir continuously until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 15 minutes. Add lobster meat, stir well and cook until heated through, about 3 ½ to 4 minutes. Add chives and stir well. Spoon the lobster mixture into the vol-au-vents and serve immediately. Makes 3 vol-au-vents
- To view this recipe on YouTube, click on this link >>>>