Greek Fennel & Feta Cheese Pie "Marathopita"
She gave me this easy recipe which we liked so much I've made it 3 times in the past 3 weeks. It makes a light meal or snack. Warm or room temperature just as good. Can be kept in closed oven or on the counter covered.
Hope you try it and enjoy it as much as we do.
1 cbutter, melted & cooled
1 cstrained, greek yogurt
1 1/4 cself-rising flour
3 bunchfresh wild fennel*, only fine leaves, chopped
1 bunchgreen onions, white & green parts finely chopped
1 lbspinach (optional)
1 Tbspolive oil
·salt & pepper (caution on salt cause feta is a salty cheese)
* IF YOU CAN'T FIND WILD FENNEL, YOU CAN TRY SUBSTITUTING A FINELY CHOPPED FENNEL BULB AND 1 CUP CHOPPED DILL. WHILE THE ONION IS COOKING, ADD 1/3 CUP OUZO OR 2 TSP GROUND FENNEL SEEDS FOR A SIMILAR TASTE.
How to Make Greek Fennel & Feta Cheese Pie "Marathopita"
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large bowl combine flour, melted butter but cooled, and yogurt..Start with 1 cup flour as you might not need all the amount of flour. The mixture might be crumbly, it will smooth as you knead.
Place the dough on a lightly floured surface & gently knead to form a smooth ball. Place the dough in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 20-30 minutes, or store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- In a skillet saute the chopped green onion, fennel and spinach if using and set aside to cool.
- Divide dough in half. Lightly flour work surface and roll out each half of dough and spread it as thin as you can to fit your baking pan. I use my oven's shallow pan, 16x12 in. You can use a large cookie sheet as this pie does not rise.
- Pour the fennel & feta mixture. Evenly spread it in the pan. The same way roll out the other half dough and lay on top. Tuck the edges inwards and score into serving (squares) pieces.