Gozo Ftira with Tomato, Onion and Basil
4 cupsbread flour
1 (1/4-oz) pkgactive dry yeast
1 1/2 tspsugar
6 Tbspolive oil
1 1/3 cupswarm water
3 Tbspolive oil
2 mediumtomato, chopped
1 mediumonion, chopped
4 clovegarlic, minced
1/2 cupfresh basil, chopped
How to Make Gozo Ftira with Tomato, Onion and Basil
- Lightly spray 2 small cookie sheets or baking trays (8x12-inch), and sprinkle a light dusting of flour on top; set baking sheet aside.
- Place bread flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a large bowl, and mix.
- In a small bowl, mix together the water and oil, and stir into the dry ingredients until you have a soft dough.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes. Place dough in a bowl, cover with a clean cloth and let sit in a warm place for 3 hours. Then cover bowl with plastic wrap, and place in fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut the dough into 2 portions. Roll ount one portion on a floured surface (to slightly longer and wider than the baking sheet, as it tends to spring back once placed on the baking tray).
- Place dough in one of the baking trays. Brush the surface with olive oil. Distribute half of the tomatoes, onions, garlic and chopped basil on top. If you wish, you can fold the edges up a bit.
- Repeat with second dough portion and remaining topping ingredients.
- Place the baking trays in the oven and let bake for 25 minutes or until the edges of the dough are golden brown. Serve immediately.