Savory Sausage Casserole
1 lbnew potatoes
8 ozmushrooms, minced
2 Tbspunsalted butter
1 1/4 cminced onion
2 Tbspfinely chopped parsley
1 lbitalian sausage, hot or mild, casings removed
1 1/2 chalf-and-half
1 cgrated gruyere cheese
How to Make Savory Sausage Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350*F. Butter a 9x13 pan.
- Bring a large quantity of water to boil and cook the new potatoes until they are just done, about 10 - 15 minutes. Strain the potatoes and set them aside to cool before slicing.
- Using a clean cloth dishtowel that may be stained, squeeze the mushrooms by small handfuls to remove all excess liquid. When all the mushrooms have been rendered almost dry, set them aside.
- Using a wide saute pan, melt the butter over low heat. Still keeping the heat low, cook the mushrooms and onions until the onions are translucent. Remove the mushrooms and onions from the pan and put them into a heat-proof bowl. Stir in the chopped parsley and set aside. Using the same pan, raise the heat to medium low and cook the sausage until it is brown. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Slice the cooled potatoes into 1/2" slices. Place them in the bottom of the prepared pan. Distribute the mushroom mixture over the potatoes. Evenly distribute the sausage over the mushroom layer. Set aside.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the half-and-half over low speed until the mixture is smooth, about 3 - 5 minutes. Pour this mixture over the ingredients in the baking dish. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake for 35 - 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the egg mixture has set in the middle. Serve immediately.