Savory Sausage Casserole
- 1 lb
- new potatoes
- 8 oz
- mushrooms, minced
- 2 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 c
- minced onion
- 2 Tbsp
- finely chopped parsley
- 1 lb
- italian sausage, hot or mild, casings removed
- 3 large
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 c
- grated gruyere cheese
How to Make Savory Sausage Casserole
- 1Preheat the oven to 350*F. Butter a 9x13 pan.
- 2Bring a large quantity of water to boil and cook the new potatoes until they are just done, about 10 - 15 minutes. Strain the potatoes and set them aside to cool before slicing.
- 3Using a clean cloth dishtowel that may be stained, squeeze the mushrooms by small handfuls to remove all excess liquid. When all the mushrooms have been rendered almost dry, set them aside.
- 4Using a wide saute pan, melt the butter over low heat. Still keeping the heat low, cook the mushrooms and onions until the onions are translucent. Remove the mushrooms and onions from the pan and put them into a heat-proof bowl. Stir in the chopped parsley and set aside. Using the same pan, raise the heat to medium low and cook the sausage until it is brown. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- 5Slice the cooled potatoes into 1/2" slices. Place them in the bottom of the prepared pan. Distribute the mushroom mixture over the potatoes. Evenly distribute the sausage over the mushroom layer. Set aside.
- 6In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the half-and-half over low speed until the mixture is smooth, about 3 - 5 minutes. Pour this mixture over the ingredients in the baking dish. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- 7Bake for 35 - 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the egg mixture has set in the middle. Serve immediately.