Sausage Stuffed Shells
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This a a terrific variation of a stuffed shells recipe. The silky cream cheese is the perfect off-set for the slightly spicy sausage. A real winner! The Test Kitchen
8 ozjumbo pasta shells
24 oz jar(s)spaghetti sauce
1 lbhot, mild, or italian sausage
14.5 oz can(s)petite diced tomatoes
2 Tbspitalian seasoning
4 ozcream cheese
2 1/2 cmozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cparmesan cheese, shredded
How to Make Sausage Stuffed Shells
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain and cool on paper towel.
- Brown sausage in large skillet on medium heat. Drain fat and return skillet to stove. Ground beef may also be used. I prefer hot or Italian sausage.
- Add diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and cream cheese to skillet, continue cooking on medium heat until cream cheese is completely melted. (About 15-20 minutes).
- Pour contents of skillet into large mixing bowl. Add beaten egg, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese and mix thoroughly. Mixture may seem a little watery, but don't worry, it will thicken during baking.
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon 3-4 tablespoons of spaghetti sauce into bottom of pan and spread around.
- Spoon meat mixture into each shell and place in pan. This recipe should make 16-18 shells. Pour remaining spaghetti sauce over the shells.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, spread remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese on top of shells, and return to oven for last 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- **Note - Optional ingredients that may be added to skillet include spinach, onions, mushrooms, depending on preference.