Sausage And Peppers Pasta
The emphasis here, is on the use of in-season, widely available and fresh ingredients, served very simply and with very basic seasonings. This is now his favorite dish!
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 lbhalf-cut spaghetti
1 lbsweet italian sausage (whole)
1red bell pepper
1yellow bell pepper
1orange bell pepper
1/2 Tspblack pepper
2 Tbsponion powder
1 Tbspgarlic powder
1 and1/2-2 tspsalt plus more for pasta water
1 lbsliced baby bella mushrooms
To tasteaccent seasoned salt (optional)
OPTIONAL: GRATED OR SHREDDED PARMESAN CHEESE, GARNISH WITH FRESH ITALIAN FLAT-LEAF PARSLEY.
How to Make Sausage And Peppers Pasta
- Sausage & Peppers pasta
1 package of sweet Italian sausage
1lb half-cut spaghetti
16oz sliced Cremini or baby bella mushrooms
5 vine-ripe tomatoes
1 large zucchini (chopped in half, then into 3rds of each half)
Orange bell pepper
Seasoned salt (Optional)
- Add 1-2 tbsp oil to deep sauté pan. Add sausages and let cook on med-high heat, until they are deeply browned on each side. Cover with the lid and set aside.
While the sausages are cooking, clean and thinly slice the mushrooms, then clean and thinly slice the peppers into strips, finally cut the zucchini in half, then half again and then cut each half into thirds longways and chop thinly.
- Remove the sausages to a plate, then add a pat of butter and a bit of oil (if needed) to the drippings, when the oil is hot, add the sliced mushrooms.
Lightly add sprinklings of the seasoned salt, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder after each vegetable is added
Important: Add in this order:
Sliced mushrooms/cook until they release their water.
Now, add all pepper strips, and when they are just starting to soften,
add chopped fresh tomatoes, cook for 1-2 mins, stirring frequently, then add zucchini at the last, and cook and stir until it just begins to soften. At this point, place the lid on the skillet, and turn the burner off. Taste for seasoning, and add more salt if needed. Set aside.
- Coming back to the spaghetti: Salt the water liberally. Drain spaghetti, then add a pat of butter to prevent sticking, and add flavor. This is optional, but recommended! Keep the pasta separate, add the sausages back into the skillet with the vegetables, and make sure everything is heated through.
Add drained spaghetti to a plate, and then add a sausage to each serving (you can slice it into rounds or half-moons, or just leave it whole for a nice
presentation), then add the vegetable mixture on top. It will be saucy because of the fresh tomatoes.
- The finished dish should be assembled as follows:
1. Add serving of half-cut lightly buttered spaghetti, followed by one sausage link, then add the vegetable mixture
2. The most beautiful presentation for this dish, is to serve the half-cut spaghetti, then add one whole sausage link, and the saucy vegetable mixture on top, but you can also chop the cooked spaghetti, and slice the sausage into rounds or half-moons. Any way you serve it, it is absolutely delicious!
- OPTIONAL: Add a little sprinkling of shredded or grated Parmesan cheese when serving, and while very hot.
You can also garnish with fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley.
Makes 5 servings, one sausage link each.