Lasagna in Maggie's Instant Pot
I used my normal lasagna recipe so if you have one that you love just use it.
Make the proper adjustments so it will fit into your Instant Pot pans. I used my spring form pan for easy serving .. plus seeing those layers is cool !
I love how fast cooks and how intense the flavors are.
Once chilled it's a dream to cut into little slices.
The smaller size is going to fool you .. it's so thick that you don't need a giant pan .. this recipe could easily feed 6 people
8 ozlean ground beef
4 ozsweet italian sausage
1/2 cchopped onion
1 csliced fresh mushrooms
1 - 2 tspminced garlic - more or less to taste
124 oz jar of your favorite pasta/marinara sauce - or homemade
3/4 cwhole milk ricotta cheese
1/4 cgrated parmesan cheese
1 tspitalian seasoning
1/2 - 1 tspgarlic powder or to taste
2 cshredded mozzarella or italian blend cheese
How to Make Lasagna in Maggie's Instant Pot
- You can use either oven ready or regular Lasagna noodles.
I have never used the oven ready so my instructions are for regular lasagna noodles.
Fill a large skillet with hot water and bring to a boil. Lay the lasagna noodles into the hot water and reduce heat to simmer.
You are only partially cooking them .. just short of al dente works best.
Once they are done drain well .. give a quick rinse so they don't stick together and set aside.
- Saute the ground beef, Italian sausage, onion, mushrooms and garlic until the beef is cooked through. Drain well then return to pan and add sauce and heat through.
- In a small bowl combine the ricotta, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and mix well.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the sauce into the bottom of a round cake pan or a springform pan.
Cut your noodles to fit into your pan and make a layer on top of the sauce.
Spoon 1/4 of the ricotta mixture over noodles and spread around.
Top with 1/4 of the remaining sauce and 1/2 cup of the mozzarella.
Repeat layers 3 times leaving about 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella to be added later.
Reserve about 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce for later.
- Spray a sheet of foil with non stick cooking spray and cover the lasagna pan tightly.
Place 1-1/2 cups water into the Instant Pot then place rack into Instant Pot with the handles down.
Place pan of lasagna into sling and gently place on top of rack.
- Lock lid and set vent to seal. Set controls to high pressure and timer to 22 minutes.
When time is up allow a natural release for 10 minutes.
Release any remaining pressure and carefully remove lid.
Lift pan from Instant pot using sling.
Remove foil and sprinkle remaining shredded mozzarella cheese on top. The heat will melt the cheese.
If desired you could remove the sling and slide the baking dish under the broiler to give the cheese a golden brown color.
- Allow the finished product to sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
Before removing the ring from the spring form pan, run a knife around the inside edge of the pan then unlock the side from the bottom of the pan.
Serve hot with a little splash of the extra pasta sauce if desired.
NOTE: If you don't have a sling you can fashion one from several layers of aluminum foil.