Big Pot Marinara Sauce - Easy Peasy
9 lbtomatoes peeled, seeded, diced
1 conion, diced
1 ccarrot, finely chopped
1 1/4 ccelery, finely chopped
1/4 colive oil
3 tspgarlic, minced
2 mediumbay leaf
1 tspbasil, dried
1 tsporegano, dried
1 tspmarjoram, dried
as needed pinchsalt and pepper
How to Make Big Pot Marinara Sauce - Easy Peasy
- I make this during canning season so at this point I have already peeled seeded and chopped my tomatoes and they are cooking on med-low with the 2 bay leaves in large pot for about an hour to thicken them up. (I do leave some seeds in my marinara)In the winter I use 4 quarts of home canned tomatoes.
- Chop up the onions, carrots and celery.
- In a large skillet combine and cook onion, celery, and carrots in the olive oil until tender - about 20 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir. Remove from heat.
- Add celery, carrots and onion mixture to the pot of tomatoes. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
- I use a Immersion blender to puree the marinara right in the pot. We like ours with little veggies pieces but you could blend until smooth.
- Add your oregano marjoram and basil to the pot and cook to your desired consistency.
- Serve over hot pasta.
This makes a big pot. I freeze the leftovers after the sauce has cooled. This recipe usually gets us 5 meals and we have a 4 people family.