Baked Macaroni and Cheese
He bit into it and literally teared up and said "This reminds me of my mom and I love it".
He never had seconds of anything but that night I believe he had thirds. Since I have had to email my mom the recipe so she can make him his favorite meal.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
One bite and my grandson, Connor, was hooked! This one was a hit around the Crew table. To quote Connor, "This mac and cheese is awesome!" The Test Kitchen
1 boxspiral macaroni
4 csharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 casiago cheese, grated
1 cgorganzonla cheese, crumbled
2-3 Tbspcorn starch or flour
3 clovegarlic, minced
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- In a large pot prepare macaroni as directed. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet melt butter and saute' garlic until slightly golden over medium high heat.
- Add corn starch or flour and make a rue. Should be a slight golden brown.
- Add a little of the milk and whisk to break up the rue so there will be no lumps. Continue to add milk and whisk so no lumps form.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to cook and stir over medium heat until sauce starts to thicken.
- Add 2 cups of cheddar cheese, Asiago and Gorganzola cheese constantly stirring until melted and sauce is thick.
- Pour sauce over the macaroni and stir well.
- Add 1 cup of the cheddar cheese and stir.
- Pour into a prepared 9x12 rectangle baking pan.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes until the cheese on top is a nice golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Then serve.
- Cheeses can be less or more to your preference. I also like to add fresh mushrooms, onions and broccoli for a twist. You can also use Parmesan cheese or Italian bread crumbs on top with the Cheddar cheese for a crunchier top.