Connie "Kiyu" Guerrero
20 largephyllo dough (thawed)
1/2 cbutter (melted)
3 mediumzucchini (grated)
1/2 cdill (finely chopped)
1/3 cfresh mint (finely chopped)
1/2 ccrumbled turkish white cheese or feta cheese
1 tspspicy red pepper flakes
pinchsalt and pepper
How to Make Zucchini Borek
- Place the grated zuchinni in a muslin bag. Twist it as tight as you can and let it drip for an hour. Twist bag again and squeeze more water out and let it drip again another half hour.
- Carefully remove the squeezed-dried zuchinni and place in large bowl. Add the egg, dill and mint. Next add the cheese, paprika, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper (I added 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper) and mix to combine. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, the mixture will be juicy. Place another muslin bag over a colander and add the mixture and let it drip out some of the juice for 15 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Take the zucchini mixture and blend it in a blender (you may have to do it in batches) for about 30 seconds. You don't want it smooth, just broken down a bit and with a little bit of texture to the mixture.
- Brush an 8x8x3 pyrex baking dish with some of the melted butter.
- Brush one sheet of phyllo with butter and place it in the baking dish (there will be overhang). Keep doing this with 9 more sheets.
- Pour the zuchini mixture and fold any of the over hang over the mixture.
- Next, brush another phyllo sheet with butter and place on top. Repeat with remaining 9 sheets. Tuck in any of the overhang into the sides or fold it over.
- Brush the top with more butter. Make several slits on top and sprinkle some water over over the phyllo.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes until golden brown.