Tofu O' the Sea
How to Make Tofu O' the Sea
- The tofu needs to be pressed. What I do is take the tofu brick and set it on a medium sized baking tray. I lay a piece of ceramic tile that I covered in tin foil over that, then put a tin foil covered Terra cotta brick on top of that. I leave this for 20 minutes on 1 side and 15 on the other. It's a good way to extract the water out of the tofu before you cut it.
- Once the tofu is pressed cut it into 12 slices. I just cut mine in 4 and I doubled the recipe so I only had 8 pieces.
- I used only 4 nori sheets that I cut in half. Brush one side of the nori with water and wrap it tightly around each piece of tofu. The nori will get soft and really stick to the tofu. Set the 8 nori covered tofu sheets aside.
- Heat up your fry pan to medium high.
- Whisk together the non-dairy milk, mustard, hot sauce and salt in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt and kelp granules.
- Using a blender, process the cornflake crumbs and divide them in half. Put each half in a shallow bowl. They are divided to keep the liquid out of the second batch.
- Dip a piece of the nori covered tofu into the milk mixture, then dredge it in the flour mixture. Set on a baking sheet and do the rest.
- Add about 1/4" of oil to the fry pan and dip the tofu back into the milk mixture then roll in the cornflake crumbs. Fry one half of the tofu recipe for a few minutes on each side. Then fry up the others.
WATCH THEM, CORNFLAKES CAN BURN VERY EASILY.
- Drain on a paper towel and keep warm until you are ready to eat.
- Serve with mayo or minced onion, tartar sauce, mustard, ketchup, or whatever you like.