1-2 Tbspolive oil
4-6 ozspanish chorizo, sliced or argentine chorizo, chopped or removed from casing and crumbled
2 clovegarlic, thinly sliced
3 largepotatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 cheavy cream (or half and half)
·salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make Spanish Omelette
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in heavy non-stick frying pan. Add chopped onion, garlic and chorizo. Cook over medium heat until onion has softened and chorizo is browned. Transfer to a large bowl with slotted spoon.
- If there is enough fat from cooking the chorizo no extra oil is needed - there should be about 2 tablespoons total in pan. Add potatoes and cook until golden brown and the centers are soft. Cool for a few minutes.
- Add eggs and cream or 1/2 and 1/2 to bowl with onions. Whisk together with a fork. Season well with salt and pepper. Gently stir in the potatoes.
- Wipe frying pan, then add butter and heat until melted and bubbling. Pour in potato mixture, distributing potatoes so they are flat and even. Cook for about 4 minutes or until egg has set on the bottom.
- Put a large plate upside down on top the pan, then carefully invert the pan onto the plate. Now slide the tortilla back into the pan, so that the cooked side is now on top. (See TIP*)
- Cook the tortilla for a few more minutes. Slide onto clean plate and let rest for about 10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.
- TIP* If you don't want to attempt flipping the tortilla, place the pan under a pre-heated broiler for a minute or two to set and brown the top!