Lake Charles Andouille Sausage
5 lbpork shoulder butt about 75-80%lean
10 Tbspcrushed & chopped fresh garlic
3 Tbspmedium grind black pepper
3 Tbspkosher salt
4 tspcrushed red pepper flakes
1 Tbspcayenne pepper
1 Tbspdried thyme
1 cice water
1 tspinstacure#1 or morton's tenderquick
How to Make Lake Charles Andouille Sausage
- trim & cut pork into 1" cubes, run through coarse plate of meat grinder, I like 3/8" plate. If more pork fat needed ,partially freeze-even the meat grinds better almost frozen
- combine all the spices and cure in small container, mix w/1 cup of ice water. Pour spice,cure & water into ground meat, mix for at leaast 2 min.Because of the high amount of spice its important not to leave any meat unmixed
- stuff meat mixture into 35-38 pork casings or small beef rounds.Collegen casings are fine if u can find em large enough & tough enough to handle the smoking process
- prepare to smoke,I make large circular rings. True Andouille is very heavily smoked, will take 4-6 pans of wood chips
Hang to air dry for 1/2hr. I wipe moisture with a clean towell to speed up.Has to be dry to accept smoke.
- Begin with heavy smoke damper wide open till casings are beginning to turn color & dry, about 135 degrees f. Close damper after casings are dry & smoke for about 2 hrs. Then raise to 165 -170 degr.,smoke till internal temp is at least 152 degr.f.
- when sausage has finished cooking (152 degr.) remove and show w/cold water to stop cooking process,about 120 internal. Hang for an hour or so to bloom,,,package it up & freeze, enjoy!