Penne with Walnut Pesto
·1 cup penne (small)
·2 tbsp butter
·1 cup, thinly sliced mushroom, cremini
·1/4 large, sweet onion, sliced
·salt and pepper (season to taste)
·1/4 cup + 2 tbsp heavy cream (whipping cream)
·1/4 cup baby spinach
·1/2 tsp lemon zest
·4 tsp walnut pesto, jarred
·1/2 tsp olive oil, extra virgin
How to Make Penne with Walnut Pesto
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, (about 10 minutes) drain and set aside until required.
- Place a pan on medium heat and melt the butter, then add the mushrooms and onion slices and saute for 3 - 5 minutes.
Watch it doesn't burn.
Season with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Now pour in the cream, stir and simmer for 3 - 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Next add the cooked pasta into the pan and reheat for about 3 - 5 minutes. Stir frequently to keep from burning. The sauce is absorbed quickly.
- In a small bowl add 4 tsp of walnut pesto and 1/2 tsp of olive oil, stir well to mix.
- When the pasta is heated remove from heat and gently stir in the baby spinach and lemon zest.
- Pour the pasta into serving bowls and add a tsp of the walnut pesto on top as garnish, to be swirled in.