Fagioli e Tonno (White Bean and Tuna Salad)
I wanted to post it here, so I wouldn't lose it - but if you think you might like it, too. Pinch Away. I'm sure Ms. Helena wouldn't mind a bit.
- ½ lb. dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cans of tuna packed in olive oil, drained
- 2 tbsp. roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
How to Make Fagioli e Tonno (White Bean and Tuna Salad)
- 1Drain soaked beans, transfer to a large pot, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat; simmer until tender (check water level occasionally and add more if beans aren’t always completely covered.
- 2Beans can vary in the time needed to become tender, so keep checking after about 45 minutes – could take as long as an hour.
- 3Drain beans, reserving 1⁄4 cup cooking liquid.
- 4Whisk together oil, vinegar, and garlic in a bowl.
- 5Combine vinegar mixture, beans, and reserved cooking liquid; season with salt and pepper; transfer to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow flavors to meld in refrigerator for at least 2 hours (overnight is best).
- 6Drain and stir in parsley and tuna.
- 7Suggestion: Serve in individual lettuce lined salad plates. Drizzle with a bit more olive oil, if desired.