Fagioli e Tonno (White Bean and Tuna Salad)
I wanted to post it here, so I wouldn't lose it - but if you think you might like it, too. Pinch Away. I'm sure Ms. Helena wouldn't mind a bit.
·½ lb. dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight
·2 cloves garlic, finely minced
·2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
·6 tbsp. olive oil
·kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
·2 cans of tuna packed in olive oil, drained
·2 tbsp. roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
How to Make Fagioli e Tonno (White Bean and Tuna Salad)
- Drain soaked beans, transfer to a large pot, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat; simmer until tender (check water level occasionally and add more if beans aren’t always completely covered.
- Beans can vary in the time needed to become tender, so keep checking after about 45 minutes – could take as long as an hour.
- Drain beans, reserving 1⁄4 cup cooking liquid.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, and garlic in a bowl.
- Combine vinegar mixture, beans, and reserved cooking liquid; season with salt and pepper; transfer to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow flavors to meld in refrigerator for at least 2 hours (overnight is best).
- Drain and stir in parsley and tuna.
- Suggestion: Serve in individual lettuce lined salad plates. Drizzle with a bit more olive oil, if desired.