This recipe is private
Waco Groundhog in Sour Cream
Groundhogs, for all their mass, don’t yield that much meat. The groundhog average around 2 pounds after all the fur and organs are discarded. It should be noted that groundhogs, as well as most other small food animals such as squirrel, have scent glands that should be cut out as soon as possible to avoid tainting the meat. When dressing groundhogs, look for and carefully remove without damaging any small gray or reddish brown kernels of fat located under the forelegs, on top of the shoulder blades, along the spine in the small of the back, and around the anus.
How to Make Waco Groundhog in Sour Cream
- 1Skin and clean the groundhog
Prepare groundhog by removing the small sacs in the back and under the forearm.
Wash and dry and put in an earthen crock. Cover with water and a half cup of vinegar and 1 T. of salt.
Let stand in a cool place overnight.
This will help remove the gamey flavor.
In the morning, remove from brine, wash and pat dry with a damp cloth.
Any excess fat may be trimmed off while the meat is cold.
- 2In a large soup kettle combine 2 qt. of water and 2 T. of soda. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, removing the scum as it rises to the surface.
Drain and rinse the groundhog meat and cut into serving pieces.
- 3Combine the flour, salt and allspice and dredge the pieces of meat in the mixture.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- 4Melt the bacon fat in a heavy iron frying pan until smoking.
Brown meat on all sides. Transfer the browned meat into a greased 4 qt. casserole.
- 5Arrange sliced onions on top, add water, cover and bake in a preheated oven for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
Transfer the meat to a heated platter to keep warm.
- 6Put the casserole on top of the stove over medium heat and spoon in the sour cream stirring constantly
Do not let the sauce come to a boil.
- 7Put the meat backinto the casserole and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Delicious served with creamed dandelion leaves.
About Waco Groundhog in Sour Cream
You May Also Like:
Show 2 Comments & Reviews