Winter Fruit Glazed Turkey
- (12 lb.) whole turkey, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large
- orange, cut in eight wedges, seeds removed
- 1/4 c
- red currant jelly
- 2 Tbsp
- orange marmalade
- 1/2 tsp
- anise seeds, ground coarse by mortar & pestle or a coffee grinder
WINTER FRUIT GLAZE
How to Make Winter Fruit Glazed Turkey
- 1Turkey Prep:
Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for gravy. Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with paper towels.
Sprinkle salt and pepper in the cavities of the bird. Place orange wedges in both body and neck cavities.
Fold neck skin and fasten to the back with skewers. Fold the wings under the back of the turkey. Return legs to tucked position.
- 2Fruit Glaze:
In 1-cup microwave-safe glass container combine jelly, marmalade and anise seeds. Cook in microwave at HIGH (100% power) 30 to 45 seconds or until melted.
Brush glaze over turkey during last 20 minutes of roasting time.
Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large shallow (no more than 2-1/2" deep) roasting pan. Insert an oven-safe thermometer into thickest part of the thigh, being careful it does not touch the bone.
- 4Roast turkey in a preheated 325 degree F. oven about 3-1/2 hours (total roasting time) basting with pan juices. During the last 20 minutes of roasting time, baste the bird with Winter Fruit Glaze. Continue to roast until the thermometer registers 175-180 degrees F in the thigh and 165-170 degrees F in the breast.
- 5Remove turkey from the oven and allow the bird to rest for 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Place on a warm large platter and garnish.