Venison Carne Asada Tacos
Venison works great for Mexican dishes. They’re fun to make, easy to make and usually have folks asking for more. The good things about making these tacos is you can lay out all the fixings and let everyone prepare their own however they desire.
Deer & Deer Hunting reader Jason Pinheiro submitted this super recipe for the popular “We Kill It, We Grill It” cookbook available in ShopDeerHunting.com.
This is a truly great recipe.
- 1 or 2 lb
- venison, thinly sliced
- 1 medium
- 1 large
- 1/4 tsp
- chef merito steak & meat or your favorite carne asada seasoning -
- 1 large
- white onion, sliced into rings
How to Make Venison Carne Asada Tacos
- 1Dry the meat with paper towels or a towel.
Sprinkle the carne asada seasoning and cumin evenly over both sides of the thinly sliced (or gently pounded) venison and pat it into the meat
- 2Throw all the meat into a large resealable plastic bag along with the sliced onion rings.
Before cutting your lime and orange, roll it on a counter firmly but not too hard under your palm to help release the juice from the pulp. You’ll get more juice this way.
Squeeze the juice of the lime and orange into the bag with the meat and onions.
Seal the bag, removing as much air as possible, and work it around to make sure the juice has a chance to marinate all the meat
- 3If you have more time, let it marinate for a few hours for more intense flavors. You also could do this a day before and then remove the seasoned meat and onions from the fridge before cooking.
- 4Remove the meat and onions from the bag and put on a hot grill.
Cook for two minutes or so on each side.
After you remove the meat from the grill, chop with a cleaver into bite sized pieces or slice into strips
- 5Quickly warm tortillas on the grill, and serve the meat with the grilled onions, chopped white onion, cilantro and a hit of lime juice.