Spring Vegetable Risotto with Shrimp
- 1/4 c
- olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons
- medium onions (chopped)
- small fennel bulb (chopped)
- cloves garlic (minced) for marinade
- 2 c
- arborio rice
- 1/2 c
- lemon juice
- 6-8 c
- hot chicken stock
- 3 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 1/2 c
- mascarpone cheese
- 2 Tbsp
- preserved lemon rind
- 1/4 c
- coarsely chopped mint leaves
- 2 c
- (frozen) peas
- 1 bunch
- asparagus (chopped into 2-inch lengths and blanched in salted, boiling water)
- large, deveined shrimp (shell on)
- cloves of garlic (minced, about 3 teaspoons)
- zest of half a large lemon
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
How to Make Spring Vegetable Risotto with Shrimp
- 1In a shallow bowl, toss the shrimp with ¼ cup oil, 4 cloves minced garlic, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Let the shrimp marinate at room temperature while making the risotto.
- 2Heat the remaining olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add the onion, fennel and 3 teaspoons minced garlic and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes, or until soft and translucent
- 3Season with salt. Add the rice and raise the heat to medium high. Stir to coat and slightly toast the rice for about 3 minutes until the rice takes on a shiny, translucent coat. Add the lemon juice to the rice and continue stirring.
- 4Add a ladle of hot stock to the rice and continue stirring. As the stock is absorbed, continue adding it by ladle and stir. Stop incorporating stock once the rice is creamy but still al dente. This can take between 20 and 30 minutes, and between 6 and 8 cups of stock.
- 5Remove the risotto from the heat, and immediately fold in the butter, mascarpone, preserved lemon rind, peas, pepper and most of the mint (save some for garnish).
- 6Stir slowly to blend, check a final time for seasoning, and carefully fold in the asparagus. Put a lid on the risotto and let it rest while you quickly fry the shrimp, for about 1 minute on each side.
- 7To serve: Top each serving of risotto with 6 shrimp, garnish with mint and serve.