Lady Bird Johnson's Shrimp Squash Casserole
1 1/2 lbyellow squash, silced 1/4 inch thick, rounds
3/4 cmedium raw shrimp, devained and tails removed
1/8 tspblack pepper
1 cchicken stock
1 cheavy cream
1 Tbspinstant minced onion
1/2 ccoarse bread crumbs
1/4 cgrated parmesan cheese
How to Make Lady Bird Johnson's Shrimp Squash Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Thoroughly rinse the shrimp under cold water. Drain.
- Heat the 3 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Blend in flour and salt and pepper. Cook until it bubbles.
Remove from heat and add chicken stock gradually whisking constantly. Bring to a boil, cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Blend in heavy cream and minced onions. mix in raw shrimp.
- Put a layer of the squash in the bottom of 1 1/2 quart casserole with lid, Then cover with half of the shrimp mixture, Repeat layer with squash and remaining shrimp mixture.
- Cover tightly and bake for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Toss in the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
- After 30 minutes, Remove the casserole and reduce the oven heat to 350 degrees. Remove cover from casserole an =d top with bread crumb mixture. return to the oven uncovered and cook 15 minutes or until golden brown