Skillet Not Old-Fashioned Beef Pot Pie
- refrigerated or homemade pie crust
- filet mignon (needed for tenderness in a short period time. can use other cuts if you'r ok with chewing)
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- onion, minced
- 8 oz
- small mushrooms, halved
- 1/4 c
- garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 c
- dry red wine
- 1/2 c
- chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp
- tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp
- minced fresh thyme
- 2 c
- frozen peas and carrots, thawed
How to Make Skillet Not Old-Fashioned Beef Pot Pie
- 1Preheat oven according to pie crust directions.
Season filets with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat.
Brown steaks on both sides, leaving centers rare, about 4 minutes total.
- 3Transfer to plate, let cool, then cut into ½ inch cubes.
Add remaining tablespoon oil, onion, mushrooms, and ½ teaspoon salt to skillet.
- 4Return to medium heat and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in flour and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until flour is well blended (about 1 minute).
- 5Stir in wine and cook until evaporated, about 30 seconds.
Slowly whisk in broth, tomato paste, and thyme. Bring to a simmer.
Cover and cook over medium-low heat until thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 6While sauce is simmering, unfold pie crust dough and place onto a nonstick baking sheet. Bake according to package directions.
- 7Stir peas and carrots and beef with juices into skillet.
Continue to simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- 8Season with salt and pepper to taste.
When pie crust is done, carefully slide onto skillet and serve.