Costolette Di Maiale Con Salvia (Pork Chops With
From Italy and The Italian Chef . Why not try something a little different than the average pork chop. You won't be sorry. You'll be using the stove top and the oven.
- 2 lb
- lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- thick pork chops, on the bone
- fresh sage leaves
- bulb of garlic
- 4 slice
- 4 Tbsp
- butter, finely diced
- dried apricots
- extra virgin olive oil
- thick strips pancetta (1/2 inch thick, if possible, or an 8-oz. package of pancetta lardons)
How to Make Costolette Di Maiale Con Salvia (Pork Chops With
- 1Preheat the oven to 425°F Put your potatoes into a pot of salted water and bring to a boil.
Give them 3 or 4 minutes - you only want to parboil them - then drain them and allow them to steam dry.
- 2Lay your pork chops on a board and insert a small paring knife horizontally into the side of each chop to make a hidden pocket.
Make sure the tip of your knife stays in the middle of the chop, as you don't want to cut through the meat to either side. Be careful -watch your fingers!
- 3Set aside 8 of the largest sage leaves.
Add 8 more leaves to your food processor with a peeled clove of garlic, the prosciutto, butter, apricots, and a pinch of salt and pepper and give it a whiz.
This is now a beautifully flavored butter that can be divided between the pork chops and pushed into the pockets.
- 4Dress the 8 large sage leaves that you set aside with a little oil and press one side of them into some flour.
Press a leaf, flour side down, onto each side of the chops (so you have 2 leaves on each chop). Leave the chops on a plate, covered with plastic wrap, to come to room temperature while you get your potatoes ready.
- 5If you're using thick strips of pancetta, slice them into matchsticks, as thick as a pencil.
Put them into a large roasting pan, with your potatoes, the remaining sage leaves, and the rest of your whole unpeeled garlic cloves.
Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and put the pan into the preheated oven.
- 6After 10 minutes, put a frying pan on the burner and get it very hot. Add a touch of olive oil and put in your seasoned pork chops.
Fry for 10 minutes, until golden and crisp on both sides, then remove the pan of potatoes from the oven - they should be nice and light golden by now - and place the chops on top.
Put the pan back into the oven for 10-15 minutes, depending on how thick the chops are, then remove the pan from the oven and serve.