Authentic, Louisiana Red Beans and Rice
1 lbdried red beans, soaked overnight
1 lbandouille sausage, sliced into rounds
1 largesweet onion, chopped
1 largered bell pepper, chopped
2 stalk(s)celery, chopped
1 largejalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
8 clovegarlic, chopped
1 tspground black pepper
1 tspcreole seasoning, or to taste
1 largesmoked ham hock
4 ccooked rice
How to Make Authentic, Louisiana Red Beans and Rice
- Place the beans and water into a slow cooker.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the sausage in the skillet; remove from the skillet with a slotted spoon and transfer to the slow cooker. Reserve the drippings.
- Add onion, green pepper, jalapeno pepper and garlic to the drippings; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer everything from the skillet to the slow cooker.
- Season the mixture with pepper and Creole seasoning.
- Add the smoked ham hock. Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours, or until beans are tender.
- If the bean mixture seems too watery, take the lid off the slow cooker and set heat to High to cook until they reach a creamy texture.