Eggplant Parmesan balls baked or fried
Easy as making meatballs, these balls are meatless. Using eggplant instead of meat. You could even shape these into patties for a vegetarian burger! Delicious!
How to Make Eggplant Parmesan balls baked or fried
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a baking sheet lightly.
- Heat olive oil in pan and sauté garlic till fragrant, about 1 or 2 minutes. Add eggplant cubes and water. Cover pot and let simmer on low, stirring occasionally so it doesnt stick. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until eggplant cubes are completely softened. I keep mushing them as I check them. If by chance it seems very liquid, drain the liquid out.
- After eggplant is soft, put to the side and let it cool off until it is room temperature.
- When cool, add the 2 eggs and mix well.
Add the parmesan cheese.... and please, use fresh shaved into big shavings. It makes a big difference!
Add the bread crumbs and salt and pepper and mix everything very well.
- Put mixture in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. This will make forming the balls or patties easier.
- Form into balls or patties.
Place on the greased sheet, and bake for 30 minutes turning them after 20 minutes.
You could also fry them in oil for a crisper texture.
- Endless possibilities with these! Would make a perfect eggplant parmesan sandwich with the addition of mozzarella cheese slice and a bit of sauce!
Can use in any recipe calling for meatballs.
Could even put them in a casserole and top with sauce and more cheese.
- Delicious and simple! My step daughter brought a friend to visit who is a vegetarian who has never had eggplant! This is a very good recipe for the introduction of eggplant. The texture is much like a meatball and the flavor is subtle. She now LOVES eggplant! :) I served them with spaghetti and red sauce.