Mrouzia (Honey-Braised Lamb Shanks)
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
- 3 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- lamb shanks, frenched, if desired
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 c
- golden raisins
- 2 Tbsp
- ras el hanout (purchased or homemade)
- 1/4 tsp
- crushed saffron threads
- stick cinnamon
- 1 c
- blanched whole almonds
- 1/2 c
- toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
How to Make Mrouzia (Honey-Braised Lamb Shanks)
- 1Heat oil and butter in an 8-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 2Season lamb generously with salt and pepper, and cook, turning as needed, until well browned all over, about 12 minutes. Transfer lamb to a plate; set aside.
- 3Add onion to pot, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add raisins, ras el hanout, saffron, and cinnamon, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- 4Add lamb, almonds, honey, and 3 cups water, and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and cook, partially covered, until lamb is very tender, about 3½ hours.
- 5Divide shanks and sauce among serving plates, and sprinkle each with sesame seeds.