Frijoles Borrachos (Drunken Beans)
1 lbpinto beans
1small onion, chopped
2 clovegarlic, minced
1/4 tspblack pepper
1/4 lbsalt pork, cubed
1 1/4 tspsalt
4 slicebacon, cut into small pieces
114 oz. can tomatoes, chopped
2 - 3serrano peppers, seeded, deveined, and minced
2 tspdried cilantro or 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
1 bottlebottle carta blanca beer
How to Make Frijoles Borrachos (Drunken Beans)
- Put beans, onion, garlic, and salt pork into at least a 5 1/2 quart heavy pot with a good lid.
- Add water and bring to a rolling boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to a slow simmer. Cook for about 3 hours or until beans are nearly tender.
- Add the salt and cook uncovered at a little higher heat to reduce the fluid, stir often.
- Fry bacon pieces in a skillet until crisp.
- Add chopped tomatoes, peppers, and cilantro to the skillet.
- Cook at a good simmer for about 10 minutes or until tomato liquid has reduced some and flavors have blended.
- Raise the heat to high and add the beer.
- Let the mixture come to a roiling boil for 2 or 3 minutes and add it to the beans. Stir to mix.
- Replace the lid and cook at a slow simmer for about another hour or until the beans are very tender.