Bacalhau Gomes Sa
- 1 1/2 lb
- whole fingerling potatoes, peeled
- 10 Tbsp
- extra virgin olive oil
- 5 c
- thinly sliced onions, about 2 large onions
- 4 large
- eggs, hard boiled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 c
- pitted kalamata olives, cut in half
- 2 c
- fresh cod
- 6 Tbsp
- fresh chopped chives
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
How to Make Bacalhau Gomes Sa
- 1Place the potatoes in a large heavy saucepan.
- 2Cover them with cold water by at least an inch, add a large pinch of salt, and bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes until the potatoes are fork-tender
- 4Drain the potatoes in a colander and spread them out on a plate.
- 5When they are cool enough to handle, slice the potatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices. Set aside.
- 6Pour 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet, add the onions and cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are tender, sweet, and translucent.
- 7Resist the temptation to turn the heat to high, otherwise the onions will brown. The slower you cook the onions, the sweeter they get.
- 8Transfer to a large bowl
- 9Preheat the oven to 350˚F and lightly coat a large shallow baking dish (glass or porcelain) with cooking spray.
- 10Add the sliced potatoes to the onions and toss.
- 11Season potatoes with salt and pepper and spread them onto the prepared baking dish.
- 12Arrange the egg slices and olives on top. Drizzle over another 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- 13Season the cod with salt and pepper and place it on top of the potato, onion, egg and olive mixture.
- 14Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil on top of the fish and bake it in the oven for about 12 to 15 minutes until the flesh turns from translucent to opaque white.
- 15Remove the baking dish from the oven and garnish with the fresh chives.
- 16Spoon the cod onto warm plates and serve hot.