Homestyle Corned Beef with Dilled Cabbage
Corned beef is called corned beef because of the "corns" of salt added to the meat while cooking.
- 2 1/2 to 3 lb
- corned beef brisket
- 2 c
- 1/4 c
- 1 Tbsp
- dijon mustard
- 1 medium
- head cabbage, cut into 8 wedges (about 2 pounds)
- 3 Tbsp
- butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp
- dijon style mustard, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp
- chopped fresh dill
How to Make Homestyle Corned Beef with Dilled Cabbage
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees F Place corned beef brisket and 2 cups water in Dutch oven. Bring just to a simmer; do not boil. Cover tightly and cook in 350 degree oven 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours or until fork-tender.
- 2About 20 minutes before brisket is done, steam cabbage 15 to 20 minutes or until tender.
- 3Remove brisket from water; trim fat. Place on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Combine honey and dijon mustard. Brush top of brisket with 1/2 of glaze; broil 3 minutes. Brush with remaining glaze; broil 2 minutes or until glazed.
- 4Combine butter, mustard and dill; spread on hot cabbage. Carve brisket diagonally across the grain. Serve with cabbage.