Homemade Cheesy Hamburger Helper (not from a box)
1 lbground chuck
2 clovegarlic, minced
1 smallonion, diced
1 stalk(s)celery, diced
1/2yellow bell pepper, diced
4baby portabello mushrooms, sliced
5plum tomatoes, diced
1 - 2 pinchbasil, dried / if fresh 1-2 leaves minced
·kosher or sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
3 - 4handfuls of egg noodles or elbows (i prefer egg noodles)
1 - 2 cmild cheddar cheese, shredded
How to Make Homemade Cheesy Hamburger Helper (not from a box)
- in large skillet on medium heat, add your ground chuck, garlic, onion, celery, yellow bell pepper. Cook until meat is mostly browned about 5 to 7 minutes.
Drain fat from pan leaving about 1 tablespoon.
- Add to the pan mushrooms, tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper.
Add 1 Cup water and 1 Cup milk.
Bring to a boil.
- Add 3 to 4 handfuls of egg noodles. Just enough that they are covered by the liquid in the pan.
Simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid add cheddar cheese, mix well, cover and simmer an additional 3 or more minutes until cheese is melted and liquid thickens and reduces down. Stir frequently and do not allow to burn.
Remove from heat and allow to rest 5 minutes for further thickening.
- Chefs notes: You can add less or more cheese according to your own tastes.
You can also substitute the beef with ground turkey
If you would like to add a bit of bite to this.. or a nacho type flavor.. add some red pepper according to your tastes too!