Cuban Hamburger (Frita Cubana)
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
FOR THE SLIDERS
2 Tbspolive oil
2 clovegarlic, peeled and crushed
1 smallonion, chopped
2 Tbsphot paprika
2 Tbspsmoked paprika
4 tspkosher salt
2 tspground cumin
3 Tbspworcestershire sauce
1 lb7 ounces ground beef, preferably chuck
8 ozground pork
FOR THE POTATO STICKS
2russet potato, unpeeled and cut into matchsticks or thin strips
·vegetable oil, for frying
How to Make Cuban Hamburger (Frita Cubana)
- To make the sliders place the olive oil and garlic in a sauté pan set over medium-high heat.
- When the garlic begins to sizzle (about 45 seconds), add the onion and sauté until the onion becomes limp and translucent, about 3 minutes
- Add both paprikas, salt and cumin and stir to combine.
- Place the onion and garlic mixture, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Place the beef and pork in a medium bowl and pour the puree over the meat. Using your hands, work the puree into the meat until well mixed.
- Allow the meat mixture to rest in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- Roll about 1/4 cup of the meat mixture into a ball and lightly flatten into a patty about 1/2-inch thick. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- To make the potato sticks, line a dish with paper towels and set aside.
- Pour 2 inches of oil into a deep, heavy-bottomed pot. Place the pot over high heat and wait for the oil to reach 375°F on a deep-fry thermometer
- If you don’t have a deep-fry thermometer, you can test the oil temperature by dropping a couple of potato sticks in the oil—if bubbles rise up around the potatoes, it’s ready.
- Sprinkle a small amount (about a four-finger pinch) of the potato sticks into the hot oil Small batches keep the potatoes from forming into one large mass.
- When the potatoes cook to a golden brown color, in about 2 minutes, remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon and place on the paper towel–lined dish to drain
- Immediately season with salt. Repeat with the remaining potato sticks until all are cooked, drained, and salted.
- Some of the potato sticks will have stuck together. When they have cooled, gently break apart.
- To assemble the sliders layer a mound of potato sticks on the bottom bun, place a patty over it, then top with another mound of potato sticks and the other half of the bun. Serve.
- Note: You can substitute store bought potato sticks for the homemade ones and you can grill the burgers.