Smothered Chicken with Rice
***Disclaimer - 99% of the dishes represented by the photographs are shot with a Pro SLR camera and owned by me. The appearance of the dishes are an accurate result of my recipes, and are usually taken immediately after the dish is completed. Please feel free to use my photos as a guide in achieving perfect results when you make the dishes, as well as share any changes you might have made to the recipe to personalize it, as I might be interested in giving it a try!
6-8 smallchicken thighs
2 Tbspolive oil
3 tspminced garlic
3 can(s)cream of mushroom soup
2 cfresh sliced mushrooms
1 1/2 cmilk
3 cinstant white or brown rice (prepared)
·fresh ground pepper
How to Make Smothered Chicken with Rice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare rice according to package, enough to cover the entire bottom of a deep 9x13 glass baking dish (3 servings).
- In the meantime, in a large skillet heat enough Olive Oil to cover the bottom..coat chicken thighs on both sides with Olive oil as well. Use desired amounts of salt, pepper and garlic powder to flavor.
- When the Olive Oil is hot, turn heat down to medium to medium-high and add minced garlic to the oil. Let Garlic sauté in the oil for about 1 min, then add Chicken..skin down in the pan.
- Brown for 15 minutes each side until chicken is golden brown (this locks the flavor into the chicken itself).
- While chicken is cooking, prepare Cream of Mushroom soup by adding 2-3 cans to a bowl, 1 1/2 cups milk, salt/pepper to taste , garlic powder, 1 tsp minced garlic and finally sliced fresh mushrooms.
- With a paper towel, brush a small amount of Olive oil around the bottom and sides of the baking dish...add rice and spread out to cover the bottom..add chicken to the baking dish on top of the rice and pour sauce mixture over all.
- Cover with foil and cook for about 45-50 minutes...uncover, and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- I like to make fresh rolls with it..sometimes I'll make my own from scratch, and sometimes I'll buy that Rhodes frozen white roll dough and let it rise all day... A fresh roll with butter really just completes the dish!
- Serves 4-8 depending on the household appetite!