Chicken & Mushroom Rice Casserole
It is a pretty inexpensive meal and uses what I typically always have in my pantry and freezer so it is one I make frequently.
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts (is also good with thighs)
- 1/2 Tbsp
- rosemary, dried
- 2 tsp
- basil, dried
- few dash(es)
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp
- onion flakes, or about 1/4 cup fresh chopped onion
- 1 8oz pkg
- yellow rice
- 1 can(s)
- family size, cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 c
- button mushrooms, diced or 1 small can mushrooms
- ritz or other buttery crackers, crushed (optional)
How to Make Chicken & Mushroom Rice Casserole
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease the sides of a baking dish, glass preferred.
- 2Place chicken in a large saucepan/cooking pot. Fill with water so chicken is completely covered. Add rosemary, basil, onion, salt and pepper.
Cook until chicken is done. Reserve the broth.
If desired, cut chicken into strips or chunks, I typically keep them whole.
- 3Set the chicken aside and cook the rice, according to package directions in the chicken broth.
- 4In a separate bowl, mix the whole can of soup, milk, 2-4 tablespoons of reserved broth, and sliced mushrooms. Spread a few spoonfuls of this on the bottom of prepared baking dish.
- 5When rice is done, spoon it into the baking dish and set chicken on top.
Pour over soup mixture and sprinkle crushed Ritz or buttery crackers (never saltines!) over it.
Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until it starts to bubble.
Allow to set about 5 minutes before serving.