Chicken & Mushroom Rice Casserole
It is a pretty inexpensive meal and uses what I typically always have in my pantry and freezer so it is one I make frequently.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
3-4boneless, skinless chicken breasts (is also good with thighs)
1/2 Tbsprosemary, dried
2 tspbasil, dried
few dash(es)salt and pepper
1 Tbsponion flakes, or about 1/4 cup fresh chopped onion
1 8oz pkgyellow rice
1 can(s)family size, cream of mushroom soup
handfulbutton mushrooms, diced or 1 small can mushrooms
15-20ritz or other buttery crackers, crushed (optional)
How to Make Chicken & Mushroom Rice Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease the sides of a baking dish, glass preferred.
- Place chicken in a large saucepan/cooking pot. Fill with water so chicken is completely covered. Add rosemary, basil, onion, salt and pepper.
Cook until chicken is done. Reserve the broth.
If desired, cut chicken into strips or chunks, I typically keep them whole.
- Set the chicken aside and cook the rice, according to package directions in the chicken broth.
- In a separate bowl, mix the whole can of soup, milk, 2-4 tablespoons of reserved broth, and sliced mushrooms. Spread a few spoonfuls of this on the bottom of prepared baking dish.
- When rice is done, spoon it into the baking dish and set chicken on top.
Pour over soup mixture and sprinkle crushed Ritz or buttery crackers (never saltines!) over it.
Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until it starts to bubble.
Allow to set about 5 minutes before serving.