Betty's extra sticky Asian drumsticks
These are best when marinated overnight, but can be marinated the morning of preparation. Be sure to let these cool slightly before serving - that's what makes them sticky. These are also fabulous cold (and taken to a BBQ or lunch pot luck).
A winner for children (and children at heart). Drumsticks can be swapped for wings or chicken ribs.
4pounds chicken legs (about 2 kilos)
1dessertspoon of minced garlic
1dessertspoon of minced ginger
1/3 cupketchup manis (sweet soy sauce)
1/3 cupsoy sauce
1/3 cupcooking caramel (asian style and can be found in asian food stores), can be swapped for molasses
How to Make Betty's extra sticky Asian drumsticks
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Place the chicken in either a large zip lock bag (a sturdy one) or a ceramic or glass bowl (no metal please).
- Pour the marinade over and toss to coat all the legs. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours - over night is best.
- Place the legs and marinade in a large baking tray and sort them out into a single layer. Bake at 350oF/170oC for 45 - 55 minutes turning once half way.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 20 - 30 minutes. This thickens up the marinade making them extra sticky. Serve with assorted salads, steamed veggies, fried rice or whatever you like.
- These are fabulous cold (and taken to a BBQ or lunch style pot luck). Be sure to keep them cool so you don't run the risk of food poisoning.