Scalloped Potatoes by Maggie
Sometimes we would have ham in it and other times she would leave it out.
It is delicious either way.
I have made this using Kielbasa and it's really good that way too.
It freezes well and is a great one to have on a cold winter day.
I've made this and taken it to pot luck dinners and family events and the dish is always empty at the end of the evening!
I try to make a double batch of this because first of all it's always good to have leftovers and secondly there is enough to freeze for a quick hearty meal later on.
4 or 5large russet potatoes
1medium yellow onion
1/2 cchopped ham
1/4 cthinly sliced celery
4 Tbspbutter (not margarine)
1/2 tspground black pepper
1/4 tspcelery salt
2 can(s)evaporated milk (12 oz. each)
1/2 cshredded sharp cheddar - new york style works well
How to Make Scalloped Potatoes by Maggie
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. You can use a round 3 or 4 qt round casserole or a rectangle baking dish of your choice. Cooking times are for the round casserole so adjust your cooking time accordingly.
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Using a mandolin, slice the potatoes thin enough to pass for potato chips. Slice them into a large bowl and rinse in cold water until the water runs clear.
- Dice the onion and thinly slice the celery. Cut the ham into smaller than bite sized pieces. NOTE: You can omit the ham if you prefer and it will not affect the outcome of this dish.
- Cut the butter into little pieces .. I usually try to make them about 1/4" or so square.
- Mix the salt, pepper and celery salt together.
- Once you have all of your ingredients ready to go begin layering. Put 2 layers of potatoes in the bottom of the baking vessel. Top with a sprinkle of onions, celery, ham then a sprinkle of cheese.
Take a pinch of the salt mixture and make it rain over all.
Drop a few pieces of the butter on top then repeat the layers ending with a potato only layer.
- When you are finished layering, slowly pour the milk over all filling only to about the half way point of your baking vessel.
Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and the remaining salt and pepper mixture.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the cover and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for about 10 to 15 minutes before serving.