Creamy Surf or Turf Casserole
We prefer the tuna version but it can be done with chicken if desired.
It's warm, comforting, easy to make and it freezes really well too !
6 ozpenne pasta
1/2 csliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cchopped onion
1/2 cchopped green pepper
1/3 cthinly sliced celery
2 can(s)water pack tuna - drained or 1-2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 can(s)cream of mushroom soup
1/2 csour cream
1/4 cgrated carrot
1/4 csliced or diced water chestnuts
1/4 tspcelery salt
1/2 tspdill weed - or more if desired
·salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cshredded cheese - cheddar and jack combo is tasty
·canned onion rings
How to Make Creamy Surf or Turf Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly spray a 7x11 baking dish and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt 2 Tbsp butter in large pot.
Add mushrooms, onions, green pepper and celery.
Saute over medium heat - stirring frequently - until vegies are crisp tender.
- Add remaining 2 Tbsp butter to pan of vegies.
Gradually stir in flour until blended then drop heat to low.
Cook - stirring often - for 3 - 4 minutes to allow the flour to incorporate and lightly brown.
- Add half of the milk and stir to blend.
Add remainder of milk then bring to a simmer.
Stir and cook for 2 minutes or until thickened - about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the shredded chicken or tuna, soup, sour cream, shredded carrot, chestnuts, celery salt. dill weed and the salt and pepper.
- Drain pasta and immediately add to sauce mixture.
Stir to coat then transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with canned onion rings and top with half the cheese.
Cover and bake 20 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle remaining cheese over top of casserole.
Return to oven and bake - uncovered for 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly.