Windy City Italian Beef
Kimmi Knippel (Sweet_Memories)
This recipe gives you the flavors that you love.
Customize your sandwich with hot or sweet peppers to make one of the best recipes.
- 1 - 3-5 lb
- beef rump roast
- 3/4 c
- flour (or as needed)
- 1/4 c
- 5 c
- water, divided
- beef bouillon, cubes
- 1 Tbsp
- oregano, dried
- 1 Tbsp
- garlic salt
- 1 tsp
- 6 tiny
- hot peppers
- bay leaves
- pepper, to taste
- mozzarella cheese & pepperoncini peppers (as needed)
- sliced french bread
How to Make Windy City Italian Beef
- 1Coat the roast with flour.
- 2Mix shortening & 3 C of water.
- 3Put roast & shortening/water mixture in a crock pot & let it simmer all day on low (9 to 11 hours).
- 4Remove from liquid & cool meat completely, reserving liquid.
- 5After meat is cooled, slice thinly with an electric knife. Add all beef & reserve liquid to large pot.
- 6Add 2 more cups of water, spices, bay leaves, peppers & beef cubes & bring to a boil. Turn heat down & simmer on low for 1 hour.
- 7Remove peppers & bay leaves.
- 8Serve on sliced french bread. Add a little broth to the bread as well. (In Chicago, they serve it really soaked.) Serve with pepperoncini peppers & Mozzarella cheese.