Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls
1 1/2 lblean ground beef, chicken or pork
1 largeonion, diced
1 clovegarlic, minced
1/2 cquick cooking rice
1 smallcabbage, chopped
1 can(s)diced tomatoes, 28 oz
1 can(s)plain tomato sauce, 8 oz
1 tspeach salt and pepper
How to Make Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the ground meat and onion and cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender. I don't use oil if I'm using beef because even the lean beef is usually fat enough without.
- Add rice and garlic to meat and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, and salt.
- Add the chopped cabbage.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Cover and place in a slow (300 degree) oven for 2 to 3 hours. You can also pour into a slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Good with crusty rolls. Serves 8.