Stuffed Bell Peppers
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This is a very filling entrée... and a terrific way to use up all your garden veggies! The Test Kitchen
4medium bell pepper
1 lbground chuck
1 cinstant rice, cooked (or 1 box beef and mushroom Rice-a-Roni)
1finely chopped onion
1 tspolive oil
1/2 cupchopped celery, optional
116 oz. can diced tomatoes (or use fresh summertime tomatoes if you have them)
1 Tbspsugar (or sugar substitute)
1/2 tspdried basil or 2 tsp. fresh basil, chopped (or more if you wish)
·shredded cheese of your choice
·salt to boiling water
How to Make Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fill large pot with water, add salt and sugar. Boil and add bell pepper that insides have been removed. You can cut the tops off and stuff whole pepper or cut pepper in half lengthwise.
- Boil gently until pepper changes color and tender (about 4-5 minutes).
- In skillet, brown ground chuck in oil with onion and celery, until meat is no longer pink and onion and celery are tender & opaque, drain well.
- Mix other ingredients in bowl, add meat mixture to bowl. Arrange peppers in baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Stuff peppers with meat mixture. If any meat mixture is left spoon around peppers casserole style.
- Bake until bubbly and tender. In the last few minutes of cooking, top with shredded cheese and cook until melted.
- They freeze really well, however, leave off cheese until ready to cook.