1 lbground beef 80%-85%
1 largeegg at room temperature
1/2 citalian bread crumbs
1/2 cfinely chopped caramelized onions if you cook them long as i do it will take about 1-2 onions
1/2 tspsalt and pepper
1/4 tspgarlic powder use up to 1/2 tsp
1/2 cparmesan cheese (not out of a can please)
·olive oil (for drizzling)
How to Make JeanneMaries Meatballs
- Cut and chop your onions not to small as they need to cook for a long time, toss in a frying pan drizzle olive oil over the onions, sometimes I will also toss in a pat or two of butter, you will need to be patient for this step the longer and slower they cook you will end up with very sweet and caramelized onions. I actually cook mine for at least 45 which is why the cooking time is so long.
- Bring the ground beef and egg, cheese to room temperature, chop the onions till almost a paste add to the beef, beat the egg & add along with the cheese, bread crumbs, s/p, & garlic. Mix well but do not squeeze the beef the rougher you are with beef the tougher it will become.
- Roll into one to two inch balls. This step really depends on your own desire. Just adjust the cooking time the balls do not need to be cooked well done as you will want to toss them in the sauce and let them get happy there for a while so do not cook them to death.
- I place on a foil lined cookie sheet or lasagna pan, drizzle a bit of olive oil across all the balls if it hits the pan a bit even better. Cook at 400 deg oven for aprox 20-25 min. remove place on a paper towel (never a napkin) just to remove some of the extra fat. Toss in your favorite sauce warm for 20 minutes or so. Enjoy with your favorite pasta.
- Tips: As always with all my recipes they are a jumping off point, if you want to add fresh garlic or any other herbs & spices feel free. You could even add finely chopped red or green pepper, the main goal here is the cheese and caramelized onions. The Italian seasoned bread crumbs take a lot out of the herb guessing game. The amount of onions is also to taste and a guessing game, I cook like 6 or more onions at the same time considering how long I cook them. I do this so I have more left over for the week, I use about one half cup in this dish.If you cannot find sweet onions and don’t have the stamina to cook onions for this long you can always add some sugar. I would use brown this will help to sweeten and cut the cooking time. For the bread crumbs it just depends on how big your egg is just put enough in so your balls will hold. If you dont have ground beef with some fat in it just add a splash of milk to it. How many it serves also depends on your husband or wife I get two to three servings out of 1lb.