James Beard's Favorite Hamburgers
Use whatever meat to fat ratio ground beef you desire. Best to use a mild tasting oil (such as Canola) so as not to "clash" with your desired toppings.
My family loves these!
2 lbground beef
3 Tbspgrated onion
2 - 4 Tbspheavy cream - use larger amount with leaner beef
·cheese of your choice, sliced (optional)
How to Make James Beard's Favorite Hamburgers
- Pat the ground beef into a rather flat, large patty. Grate onion directly over meat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spoon cream over meat.
- Blend well - but gently - with your hands until combined.
- Form meat into four patties. - for rare burgers, make patties about 1 and 1/4 inches thick.
- Heat oil and butter together into a heavy (preferably iron) skillet. When quite hot, add patties and cook to desired doneness. Turn only once or twice while cooking, and DO NOT press meat down with spatula.
- When done to your liking, add a slice of cheese, if using. Heat from burgers will melt cheese slightly. Prepare buns as desired.