Fried Cabbage and Corned Beef
The cook time on this recipe is more of a long term simmer, over a long period of time.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Fried cabbage... YUM! Pretty much the perfect meal for St. Patrick's Day... or any day! The Test Kitchen
- 2 can(s)
- canned corned beef (preferably Libby)
- 2 - 4
- heads of cabbage (chopped into bite size squares)
- 1 stick
- butter (or 4 tablespoons of country crock butter)
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp
- salt (do not over salt, corned beef is salty too!)
- 1 Tbsp
- black pepper
- 2 box
- Jiffy corn muffin mix (mix and bake cornbread or muffins as directed)
How to Make Fried Cabbage and Corned Beef
- 1Chop both heads of cabbage into bite size squares. On high heat, in large electric skillet or deep cast iron pot, melt butter (get it sizzling), then add cabbage, stir to coat cabbage with butter, add salt, pepper and sugar. Stir and mix seasonings in well.
- 2Lower heat to Med/High, let the cabbage start to brown and some of it will even start getting a little burnt looking and that is ok, it adds to the flavor of the dish. Get as much of the cabbage started to fry and get translucent and brown.
- 3Partially cover, turn down heat by half, almost to low, let simmer, stirring occasionally to reduce burning and sticking. I usually let the cabbage simmer and brown for an hour or so. I let as much of the water cook off of the cabbage as possible.
Taste test it to make sure you have just the right amount of **salt (I really do not us very much salt, since the Canned Corned Beef is pretty salty.), pepper and sugar. The taste should be more cabbage flavor than seasonings.
**The only reason I add some salt to the cabbage as it is cooking is the salt helps pull excess water out of the cabbage.**
- 4Push all the cabbage out to the edges of the pan/pot and put the canned corned beef in the center. Break up the corned beef, cover and let heat and simmer for a few minutes. Mix cabbage and corned beef together and let slow simmer while you are mixing up the cornbread and baking it.
Once the cornbread is done it is dinner time. Enjoy!!