Chicken Fried Steak and Cream Gravy
How to Make Chicken Fried Steak and Cream Gravy
- Trim steak and pound, if needed, to 1/2 inch thick; cut into 6 to 8 pieces.
- Combine milk, hot pepper sauce and salt in a bowl.
- Measure 1 cup of flour into a bowl.
- Combine remaining flour, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper in another bowl.
- Dip steak into flour, milk mixture then into seasoned flour.
- Set aside until all meat is coated.
- Heat 1 or 2 inches of oil in fry pan.
- Fry meat until both sides are golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with cream gravy, mashed potatoes and gravy.
- CREAM SAUCE: Pour off all but 6 tablespoons of fat from fry pan; add 6 tablespoons flour into pan (use any leftover seasoned flour) and blend well.
- Gradually stir in 2 1/2 cups milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover steaks with gravy when served.
- Makes 2 cups.