BEEF POT PIE OR SHEPHERD'S PIE (SALLYE)
Just good old plain filling food for the masses (otherwise known as hollow legged teenagers)
- 1+ lb
- lean ground beef
- 1 pkg
- frozen mixed vegetables (10-12 oz)
- 1 can(s)
- cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can(s)
- cream of celery soup
- 1 small
- can evaporated milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 small
- dashes worcestershire sauce
- 2 medium
- potatoes, cubed into bite size pieces
- 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp
- dried minced onions
- 9" pie shells or EASY PIE DOUGH(SALLYE)
How to Make BEEF POT PIE OR SHEPHERD'S PIE (SALLYE)
- 1If you use frozen pie shells, you will need 4 each deep dish (2 packages), This recipe is enough to make two pot pies.
- 2Preheat oven to 375º
Peel and cube potatoes and place in microwave safe bowl. Add frozen mixed vegetables and 1/4 cup water.
Cook on high heat for 3 to 5 minutes in microwave and set aside.
In heavy skillet, brown ground beef with salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried onions.
Drain and put meat back in skillet.
- 3Pour both cans of soup, about 1/2 soup can of water, and the evaporated milk into the meat mixture. Add worcestershire sauce and vegetables. Stir until well blended and cook for a few minutes until heated all the way through.
If you want a "beefier" taste you can add 1 tablespoon bouillon powder when you add the soups.
- 4NOTE: You will need 2 each deep dish 9" pie pans or a 11X13 deep baking dish. THis makes a lot of meat & veggie filling.
While meat mixture is cooking, place one pie crust in bottom of baking dish and gently press up sides of dish as far as you can without tearing the crust.
Pour the meat mixture over the crust and spread out evenly.
Place second pie crust over the meat mixture and cut 4 slits in the crust so steam can escape.
Cook uncovered for 30-35 minutes until crust begins to brown.
Increase heat to 400º and cook 5-10 more minutes until meat mixture is bubbling merrily and crust is a rich golden brown.
- 5***ALTERNATE METHOD TO MAKE AS SHEPHERD'S PIE***
To make as shepherd's pie, only use one pie crust in the bottom of pan, or don't use a pie crust at all.
For topping, use mashed potatoes. I used instant potatoes making enough for 4 servings according to the package .
If you make as shepherd's pie, you can eliminate the diced potatoes in the ingredients.
All other directions are the same.