Beef & Green Chile Braided Loaves
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This is so flavorful and not overly spicy! ) We love the creaminess of the cream cheese and the wonder that is the mix of seasoning. The Test Kitchen
- 1 1/2 c
- warm water
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 4 c
- all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1 1/2 lb
- ground beef
- fresh poblano chiles
- 1 c
- jack cheese, grated
- 2 tsp
- chile powder (powdered chiles, not chili powder you use for making a bowl of chili)
- adobo powder to taste (substitute salt, pepper and onion powder)
- beef base paste (like better than bouillon brand) or a cube, to taste
- sour cream, to taste
- habanero hot sauce, to taste (go for it! live a little!)
How to Make Beef & Green Chile Braided Loaves
I mixed these in the bread machine on the dough setting. This can be done by hand, though. Proof the yeast in the warm water, and mix in the other ingredients. Knead until elastic, adding flour if necessary. Let rise until doubled in bulk.
Put poblanos on a cookie sheet just under the broiler until the skin is blackened. Toss into a plastic bag and let them steam so the skin becomes loose. When cool enough to handle, peel off and discard the skin, as well as the stems and seeds. Dice roasted chile meat.
- 3Brown ground beef in skillet. Add a little chile powder, some adobo seasoning, and a teaspoonful of the beef base. Add a little water to simmer on, covered for ten minutes or so, then evaporate the water. Add chiles.
Divide the dough in half. Roll out each half into a rectangle about 14 X 10 inches. Down the length of the rectangle, place half of the filling, keeping the filling to the center third of the rectangle. Then, cover the beef mixture with jack cheese, a little sour cream, and hot sauce to taste. Cut the right and left sides of the dough every inch or so from the edge of the dough to the edge of the filling. Beginning at the top, begin the mock braid. Bring one flap down at a 45 degree angle to the center, then repeat with the other side. Continue until all flaps have been used, and the filling is covered. Cover the loaf and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes or so, while the oven preheats to 375 degrees. Bake for 20 minutes, slice, and serve.