All American Grilled Hamburgers
To be a red-blooded American is to seep yourself in traditions: believing in the Tooth Fairy, going to prom, tailgating, complaining about things you cannot control, and, above all else, clogging your arteries with various red meats while wearing jean shorts on our nation’s birthday. We do it for pride. For honor. For America.
- 2 1/4 lb
- ground round, chuck or sirloin
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- hamburger buns
- vidalia or other sweet onion, cut into 6 thick slices
- head lettuce, washed and leaves separated
- 2 medium
- tomatoes, sliced
- dill pickle or sweet pickle slices
- 12 slice
- cooked bacon
- cheese slices
How to Make All American Grilled Hamburgers
- 1Preheat grill and oil the grate. Divide the meat into 6 equal portions. Lightly wet hands with cold water and form each portion of meat into a round 4- inch patty.
- 2Brush one side of the patties and the onion slices lightly with olive oil and season with more salt and pepper, if desired; place on grill. After 5 minutes, turn patties with spatula and continue grilling until nicely browned and cooked to taste. Brush the cut sides of the buns with the remaining olive oil and place, cut sides down, on the grill for the last 2 minutes.
- 3Set out the toppings, place the burgers and onion slices on the buns and serve.