Ponche Navideño- Christmas Fruit Punch
- 10 qt
- drinking water
- 2 qt
- hot water
- 8 to 10
- tamarind pods
- 3 lb
- sugar cane (substitute piloncillo if needed)
- 1/2 lb
- 1 c
- green apples, peeled and chopped
- pears, peeled and chopped
- 4 large
- oranges (or 6 medium ones) juiced
- 1 tsp
- ground cloves
- 8 oz
- walnuts, chopped
- 2 lb
- cinnamon sticks
- brandy (optional)
How to Make Ponche Navideño- Christmas Fruit Punch
- 1Soak the tamarind and the tejocotes in hot water for about an hour.
- 2Bring the 10 quarts of water to a boil in a very large pot, then reduce to a slow simmer.
- 3Remove the tamarind and the tejocotes from the soaking water and discard the water.
- 4Remove the brittle shells from the tamarind, and squeeze out the seeds from the pulp.
- 5Cut the tejocotes into quarters, removing the skin. Add the tamarind pulp and the tejocotes to the simmering water.
- 6Cut the guavas into quarters, and add them in.
- 7Chop or slice the sugar cane into chunks (remove the outer skin if it has it) and add them in.
- 8Add in the remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour. Remove cinnamon sticks before serving.
- 9Use a large ladle and serve each cup with the chunks of fruit.
- 10Mix in 1-2 ounces of brandy per serving. Or you can add the entire pint to the batch before serving.