Ponche Navideño- Christmas Fruit Punch
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
10 qtdrinking water
2 qthot water
8 to 10tejocotes
3 lbsugar cane (substitute piloncillo if needed)
1 cgreen apples, peeled and chopped
2pears, peeled and chopped
4 largeoranges (or 6 medium ones) juiced
1 tspground cloves
8 ozwalnuts, chopped
How to Make Ponche Navideño- Christmas Fruit Punch
- Soak the tamarind and the tejocotes in hot water for about an hour.
- Bring the 10 quarts of water to a boil in a very large pot, then reduce to a slow simmer.
- Remove the tamarind and the tejocotes from the soaking water and discard the water.
- Remove the brittle shells from the tamarind, and squeeze out the seeds from the pulp.
- Cut the tejocotes into quarters, removing the skin. Add the tamarind pulp and the tejocotes to the simmering water.
- Cut the guavas into quarters, and add them in.
- Chop or slice the sugar cane into chunks (remove the outer skin if it has it) and add them in.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour. Remove cinnamon sticks before serving.
- Use a large ladle and serve each cup with the chunks of fruit.
- Mix in 1-2 ounces of brandy per serving. Or you can add the entire pint to the batch before serving.